All women dream of long, luscious locks, but for many, beautiful hair remains just that- a dream, because they are unsure if how to properly care for their hair, and commit many crimes against their tresses in their lifetime, damaging it constantly and causing it to look dull,and lifeless. These tips will help you to get and maintain beautiful and healthy hair... the kind of hair you have always wanted. Remember long hairstyles need extra attention and care.
- Make sure you know your hair type, and use products specifically designed for your hair.
- When choosing hair care products, particularly shampoos and conditioners, stay away from supermarket products that often contain silicone that can really damage your tresses.
- NEVER brush wet hair as it will break. This is especially true for those of you with curly hair. If it is absolutely necessary use a wide toothed comb to detangle when wet being very gentle and cautious. Work from the ends upwards towards the scalp.
- Do not wrap wet hair in a towel turban on top of your head after washing, as the friction from the towel can knot and damage hair- causing fly aways and split ends.
- Wash hair in warm water, as extremely hot or cold water will damage your locks.
- Ensure your diet is providing enough vitamins to keeps your hair healthy. Foods rich in Vitamin B, C and E will promote healthy, beautiful hair.
- Using a hair dryer to dry hair robs hair of its moisture so air dry hair whenever possible to help prevent those fly aways and split ends.
- Avoid pulling hair back tightly or using tight rubber bands to hold hair as it can damage and break the hair.
- Do not overuse products such as hair spray, mousse and gel as these can irritate the scalp and cause dandruff, as well as lead to damage to the hair shaft.
- Avoid chemical treatments to hair like dyeing it, perming it or chemically straightening it as these destroy the hair, and dry out your scalp. They also weaken the hair and make it more likely to break leaving you with fly aways, frizz and split ends. Learn to work with what you were given rather than trying to dramatically change it.
Hair care experts recommend brushing long hair in the correct manner, not only for care- but to promote and stimulate growth to keep your hair long and lovely. By bending forward, and allowing your hair to fall, brush hair from the nape of the neck, over the head and down to the ends. Stand up straight, and brush from underneath your hair, downward. Continue brushing hair from roots to ends, now from the top of your head whilst standing normally, and use your hands to smooth down your hair in between strokes in order to prevent frizz. If your hair becomes oily, then reduce the number of strokes you do daily. Experts also recommend using a natural bristled hair brush to brush your hair with.
For truly expert hair care and a VIP experience you need to go and see Michelle Sapiano at ELATTC